Native Foresters was engaged to assist local council bodies with proposals to expand the Nambour, Noosa and Buderim Landfill facilities. Native Foresters assembled multi-disclipinary teams to assess the construction, design, engineering, planning, environmental and cultural constraints on the projects.
Landfill expansion projects were assessed against the relevant provisions of the Vegetation Management Act, Nature Conservation Act and Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act, State Planning Regulatory Provisions for Koala, as well as the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme, including self assessable codes and exemptions under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and Regulations. The assessments included:
- Significant Residual Impacts on Matters of State Environmental Significance;
- Federal EPBC Act Referrals for Matters of National Environmental Significance;
- Assessment of Impacts on Groundwater Dependent Ecosystems;
- Species management programs for iconic, colonial breeding or special least concern animals (microbats, platypus and echidna)
- Species management programs for EVNT-listed fauna species (Tusked frog and Richmond Birdwing butterfly).
- Offset receiving site suitability assessment and Terrestrial Habitat Quality Assessment